SubjectRe: [RFC] sched: Limit idle_balance() when it is being used too frequently
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 01:51:51PM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On 07/17/2013 12:18 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> >So the way I see things is that the only way newidle balance can slow down
> >things is if it runs when we could have ran something useful.
>
> Due to contention on the runqueue locks of other CPUs,
> newidle also has the potential to keep _others_ from
> running something useful.

Right, although that should only happen when we do have an imbalance and want
to go move something. Which in Jason's case is 'rare'. But yes, I suppose
there's other scenarios where this is far more likely.

> Could we prevent that downside by measuring both the
> time spent idle, and the time spent in idle balancing,
> and making sure the idle balancing time never exceeds
> more than N% of the idle time?

Sure:

idle_balance(u64 idle_duration)
{
u64 cost = 0;

for_each_domain(sd) {
if (cost + sd->cost > idle_duration/N)
break;

sd->cost = (sd->cost + this_cost) / 2;
cost += this_cost;
}
}

I would've initially suggested using something like N=2 since we're dealing
with averages and half should ensure we don't run over except for the worst
peaks. But we could easily use a bigger N.

  Last update: 2013-07-17 21:01    [W:0.123 / U:0.028 seconds]