SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] KS Topic request: Handling the Stable kernel, let's dump the cc: stable tag
On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 04:53:58AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 09:36 -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> > > I just followed up in the other thread, where Ted was explaining why the
> > > huge /dev/random rework was a -stable material.
> > >
> > > Why specifically would it be wrong to be open about this being security
> > > related, and providing the necessary data (i.e. at least reference to
> > > http://factorable.net/) publically?
> > >
> > > I fail to see what the point behind hiding this would be.
> >
> > I'm not "hiding" anything, all I'm doing is using the exact same
> > changelog comments that are in Linus's tree, and nothing else.
>
> Right, and I wouldn't expect you to edit commit messages. But if a fix
> was privately proposed to you for stable on the grounds that the bug is
> found to be exploitable, maybe you could include that information in the
> cover message for the review.

Sorry, my position on that has not changed, I will not do that for the
obvious reasons discussed many times in the past.

greg k-h

  Last update: 2013-07-17 07:01    [W:1.540 / U:0.548 seconds]