    SubjectRe: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review
    Date
    Sarah Sharp <sarah.a.sharp@linux.intel.com> writes:
    > On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 02:22:14PM +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:
    > Linus is complaining about code here, and the effects of merging bad
    > code on his own tree. I personally have no qualms with this type of
    > harsh email, because it focuses on the code, not the person.
    >
    > I do, however, object when the verbal abuse shifts from being directed
    > at code to being directed at *people*. For example, Linus chose to
    > curse at Mauro [2] and Rafael [3], rather than their code:
    >

    > "Mauro, SHUT THE FUCK UP!"

    This one crosses the line. There's no non-offensive way to tell a geek
    "you are wrong", but this isn't even trying. Bad Linus!

    > "How long have you been a maintainer? And you *still* haven't learnt the
    > first rule of kernel maintenance?"
    >
    > "Shut up, Mauro. And I don't _ever_ want to hear that kind of obvious
    > garbage and idiocy from a kernel maintainer again. Seriously."
    >
    > "The fact that you then try to make *excuses* for breaking user space,
    > and blaming some external program that *used* to work, is just
    > shameful. It's not how we work."
    >
    > "Fix your f*cking "compliance tool", because it is obviously broken.
    > And fix your approach to kernel programming."
    > ...and I'm surprised to
    > hear that kind of utter garbage from you in particular."

    Linus repeats 5 times: you can tell he's upset.

    > "Seriously. Why do I even have to mention this? Why do I have to
    > explain this to somebody pretty much *every* f*cking merge window?"

    This one is OK, actually.

    So, I tried to rewrite Linus' email. And it lost the raw, red-hot anger
    of the original. It no longer makes everyone listen. It tempts one to
    argue.

    It is not as effective :(

    But suggesting alternate expressions might be constructive.
    Rusty.

      Last update: 2013-07-17 03:41    [W:4.290 / U:0.032 seconds]