    SubjectRe: [ATTEND] How to act on LKML (was: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review)
    On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 12:18:21AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
    > On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 02:12:35PM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
    > > I *hate* both direct personal insults and indirect personal insults.
    > > Neither should be acceptable in our community.
    > >
    > > As I stated in an email to Rusty, what I'm objecting to here is not
    > > kernel developers criticizing code. I'm objecting to personal attacks,
    > > and developers directing personal verbal abuse towards each other. This
    > > include all developers, not just Linus.
    >
    > Well, there are people like me who don't mind getting personally
    > insulted but who are really pained when their work is criticized.
    >
    > You'd rather tell me I'm a fucking moron than all what I carefully
    > designed, wrote and tested is pure crap. Probably that part of the
    > reason is that I'm as I am and I'm not really responsible for this,
    > so I don't care. Call me ugly if you want, why should I bother ? But
    > if you tell me I did some crap, it's entirely my fault and that hurts
    > a lot more.

    I think we come from different perspectives here. I can change my code.
    Therefore, I don't mind my code being insulted. I cannot change myself.
    Therefore, I don't want to read verbal abuse directed at me personally.

    Things get blurred when we're talking about something a person did.
    I can change how I act as a maintainer. Therefore, tell me politely
    what I did wrong, and I will change it.

    > So you want criticism to change focus for good, but it will not
    > necessarily achieve the result you're expecting. Maybe we can lose
    > more talented people by telling them their work is pure crap because
    > we did not understand it than telling them they're stupid and let
    > them argument their choices. At least I don't claim to know which
    > one is better, all I can say is that what we have right now works
    > well enough in my opinion.

    We can tell them their code is bad without calling it crap. Cussing
    them out is just a lazy shortcut.

    Sarah Sharp

      Last update: 2013-07-17 01:21    [W:3.251 / U:0.412 seconds]