SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] [ATTEND] scsi-mq prototype discussion
On Tue, Jul 16 2013, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-07-13 at 06:53 +0000, James Bottomley wrote:

> > > And it'll open up new approaches which previously were dismissed,
> > > like re-implementing multipathing on top of scsi-mq, giving us the
> > > single scsi device like other UNIX systems.
> > >
> > > Also I do think there's quite some synergy to be had, as with blk-mq
> > > we could nail each queue to a processor, which would eliminate the
> > > need for locking.
> > > Which could be useful for other subsystems, too.
> >
> > Lets start with discussing this on the list, please, and then see where
> > we go from there ...
> >

> Yes, the discussion is beginning to make it's way to the list. I've
> mostly been waiting for blk-mq to get a wider review before taking the
> early scsi-mq prototype driver to a larger public audience.
>
> Primarily, I'm now reaching out to the people most effected by existing
> scsi_request_fn() based performance limitations. Most of them have
> abandoned existing scsi_request_fn() based logic in favor of raw block
> make_request() based drivers, and are now estimating the amount of
> effort to move to an scsi-mq based approach.
>
> Regardless, as the prototype progresses over the next months, having a
> face-to-face discussion with the key parties in the room would be very
> helpful given the large amount of effort involved to actually make this
> type of generational shift in SCSI actually happen.

There's a certain amount of overlap with the aio/O_DIRECT work as well.
But if it's not a general session, could always be a BOF or something.

I'll second the argument that most technical topics probably DO belong
in a topic related workshop. But that leaves us with basically only
process related topics at KS, I don't think it hurts to have a bit of
tech meat on the bone too. At least I personally miss that part of KS
from years gone by.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2013-07-17 00:01    [W:0.090 / U:0.072 seconds]