    SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2013-discuss] When to push bug fixes to mainline
    On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 12:11 -0700, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:

    > People mark stable patches that way already today with a:
    > Cc: stable <stable@vger.kernel.org> # delay for 3.12-rc4
    > or some such wording. I take those and don't apply them until the noted
    > release happens, so you can do this if needed.

    I guess the thing is, are stable patches prone to regressions. Do we
    just do that for patches that we think are too complex and may cause
    some harm. Of course, there's the question about having a clue about
    what patches might cause harm or not.

    For tracing patches, I test them probably more than most people, as
    tracing isn't usually done on non development machines. A regression in
    tracing isn't likely to harm others.

    Right now it doesn't seem to be an issue because we have "Greg" doing
    things at light speed. But when stable is maintained by a lesser deity,
    then we may need to look at changing the process.

    -- Steve

      Last update: 2013-07-16 22:21    [W:4.380 / U:0.496 seconds]