SubjectRe: [ATTEND] How to act on LKML (was: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review)
On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 23:34 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-16 at 13:14 +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
>
> > Surely there is an enormous difference between being required to defend your
> > position against rational and forceful argument, and being required to defend
> > it against irrelevant name calling.
>
> Sure, but I don't think there's really much name calling in the kernel
> community.
>
> I just scanned a large number of LKML emails, and they all seemed rather
> technical, and no personal attacks at all. And that included several
> emails from Linus as well. Probably the strongest email came from Thomas
> Gleixner, but even that didn't contain any personal name calling. Mostly
> he called stuff "crap" but that was about the code and claims that the
> code did, but not about the person.
>
> There are a few times that Linus gets a bit colorful with his
> criticisms, but that's really the minority of the email and not the
> overall tone. I think Linus picks his battles. Sometimes he goes
> overboard, but he's human. But I still think he's running this ship
> well.

I just found this gem: https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/7/10/600

But it's just Linus ranting about having "make install" modify the
source tree (which I totally agree with him, as I've stumbled over crap
like this in other projects). But he's bitching about the code, not the
person who asked him to pull it.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2013-07-16 06:21    [W:0.252 / U:0.052 seconds]