SubjectRe: [ 00/19] 3.10.1-stable review
On Fri, 2013-07-12 at 16:19 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:

> Your example above: If that fix was for "tracing reports wrong results", no big deal,
> everyone can live with it for a month. If it was fixing "a bug in tracing can allow
> an unprivileged user to crash the kernel", a month is unacceptable, and at
> the least we should be getting an interim fix to mitigate the problem.

And even that isn't one size fits all. If the exploit is a -rc only, or
even a newly released kernel. Is it that critical to get it fixed ASAP?
I would think that the kernel releases takes time before they get to
users main machines.

I would suspect that machines that allow unprivileged users would be
running distro kernels, and not the latest release from Linus, and thus
even a bug that "can allow an unprivileged user to crash the kernel" may
still be able to sit around for a month before being submitted.

This wouldn't be the case if the bug was in older kernels that are being
used.

-- Steve

  Last update: 2013-07-12 22:41    [W:0.273 / U:0.352 seconds]