    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Load keys from signed PE binaries
    Date
    Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

    > > There's only one signing authority, and they only sign PE binaries.
    >
    > If Red Hat wants to deep-throat Microsoft, that's *your* issue. That
    > has nothing what-so-ever to do with the kernel I maintain. It's
    > trivial for you guys to have a signing machine that parses the PE
    > binary, verifies the signatures, and signs the resulting keys with
    > your own key. You already wrote the code, for chissake, it's in that
    > f*cking pull request.

    There's a problem with your idea.

    (1) Microsoft's revocation certificates would be based on the hash of the PE
    binary, not the key.

    (2) Re-signing would make the keys then dependent on our master key rather
    than directly on Microsoft's. Microsoft's revocation certificates[*]
    would then be useless.

    (3) The only way Microsoft could then revoke the extra keys would be to
    revoke our *master* key.

    [*] Assuming of course we add support for these.

    David

      Last update: 2013-02-21 21:24    [W:4.144 / U:0.148 seconds]