SubjectRe: [patch 0/8] mm: thrash detection-based file cache sizing v5
On 10/21/2013 05:26 AM, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> On 10/10/2013 11:46 PM, Johannes Weiner wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> here is an update to the cache sizing patches for 3.13.
>>
>> Changes in this revision
>>
>> o Drop frequency synchronization between refaulted and demoted pages
>> and just straight up activate refaulting pages whose access
>> frequency indicates they could stay in memory. This was suggested
>> by Rik van Riel a looong time ago but misinterpretation of test
>> results during early stages of development took me a while to
>> overcome. It's still the same overall concept, but a little simpler
>> and with even faster cache adaptation. Yay!
>
> Oh, I liked the previous approach with direct competition between the
> refaulted and demoted page :) Doesn't the new approach favor the
> refaulted page too much? No wonder it leads to faster cache adaptation,
> but could it also cause degradations for workloads that don't benefit
> from it? Were there any tests for performance regressions on workloads
> that were not the target of the patchset?

This is a good question, and one that is probably
best settled through experimentation.

Even with the first scheme (fault refaulted page to
the inactive list), those pages only need 2 accesses
to be promoted to the active list.

That is because a refault tends to immediately be
followed by an access (after all, the attempted
access causes the page to get loaded back into memory).

  Last update: 2013-11-14 17:41    [W:0.141 / U:0.152 seconds]