SubjectRe: RFC: (re-)binding the VFIO platform driver to a platform device
On Wed, 2 Oct 2013 11:43:30 -0700
Christoffer Dall <christoffer.dall@linaro.org> wrote:

> [...]

I think what Scott is saying is that the first echo above is somewhat
redundant with the second: they're both talking to the vfio-platform
driver about an i2c device.

> As for the data structure, isn't this a simple linked list?
>
> The problem with the race seems to be a common problem that hasn't even
> been solved for PCI yet, so I'm wondering if this is not an orthogonal
> issue with a separate solution, such as a priority or something like
> that.

I agree; adding 'direct'/'atomic' functionality to the existing bind
sysfs file, i.e., bind_store() logic to perform device_release_driver()
logic if dev->driver != NULL, all under the same device_lock() is an
independent problem from binding the VFIO platform driver to a platform
device.

> Yes, once you've added the new_compatible to the vfio-platform driver,
> it's up for grabs from both the new and the old driver, but that could
> be solved by always making sure that the vfio-platform driver is checked
> first.

not sure I understand the priority problem here - haven't looked at PCI
yet - but, given the above 'atomic bind' functionality described above,
the new and old driver wouldn't be requesting to bind to the same
device simultaneously, no?

> (I'm not familiar with these data structures, but I would imagine
> something like re-inserting the vfio-platform driver in the
> list/tree/... whenever adding a new_compatible value might possibly be
> one solution).
>
> > What's wrong with a non-vfio-specific flag that a driver can set, that
> > indicates that the driver is willing to try to bind to any device on the
> > bus if explicitly requested via the existing sysfs bind mechanism?
> >
> It sounds more hackish to me to invent some 'generic' flag to solve a
> very specific case. What you're suggesting would let users specify that
> a serial driver should handle a NIC hardware, no? That sounds much much
> worse to me.

I thought that was the nature of VFIO drivers...it's a 'meta-' driver,
used for enabling userspace drivers at large.

Kim

  Last update: 2013-10-02 22:21    [W:0.101 / U:0.092 seconds]