SubjectRe: CoreSight framework and drivers

On 12/21/2012 04:18 PM, Pratik Patel wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 04:54:38PM -0600, Jon Hunter wrote:

>>> Ok, so are you referring to making CoreSight devices register
>>> with AMBA bus instead of platform bus keeping everything else
>>> intact?
>>
>> Yes exactly. However, please note I am not saying that we should do
>> this, and I asking what direction does the community want us to take
>> here? Platform bus or AMBA bus?

>>> I had left the "None" type for miscellaneous stuff but I agree it
>>> should be a separate type - maybe "debug".
>>>
>>> Having said that I like the CTI driver you have uploaded. Need to
>>> look at it in more detail. Since CTI connections can vary between
>>> chip to chip, we need a generic way to deal with it.
>>
>> Yes if you have any ideas let me know. As Will had mentioned it would be
>> good to have a common function table all these devices could use too. I
>> will take a closer look at what you have.
>>

> I had started on a CTI driver much in line with your current
> implementation but your approach looks good to me.
>
> Looking at the code though, I couldn't find a way to perform a
> mapping between two different CTIs. Reason I ask is because we
> have use cases where we need to map one CTIs input to another
> CTIs output on the same channel.

The code is largely based upon the existing cti helpers, which just had
a cti_map_trigger() function. The use-case you described is not
supported by the current helpers and so also not supported in my initial
implementation (although we should add this). Hence, it would be
probably best to split the cti_map_trigger() into two functions say,
cti_map_triggerin() and cti_map_triggerout(), to map a trigger
input/output to a channel.

> Do you intend to support different entities within kernel to map
> different trig_in or trig_out on the same CTI? If so, it might
> probably require reference counting for the enable/disable.

I need to think about this some more, as this does make it a little more
complex. Right now only one entity can use a cti module at a time.

> What user interface do you plan to provide for the CTI? Maybe
> something consistent with other CoreSight components in sysfs to
> allow users to enable, disable, map and unmap ???

Yes that's possible.

> Please let me know your thoughts.
>
> CTIs can easily be made part of the CoreSight core layer using a
> different type but apart from being part of the CoreSight list
> containing all the trace and CTI components, not sure if there is
> anything that is useful to do in the core layer. Need to think
> about this.

Yes it would be good to make this all part of the same coresight framework.

Cheers
Jon

  Last update: 2013-01-02 21:41    [W:0.064 / U:0.324 seconds]