SubjectRe: A workaround for request_firmware() stuck in module_init
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> It's not about a workaround but about doing it properly for the long term
> and doing it in one place. It's also not a "great change", its a small
> change.

udev needs to get fixed regardless.

Stop this "we can break stuff" crap. Who maintains udev? Regressions
are not acceptable. I'm not going to change the kernel because udev
broke, f*ck it.

Seriously. More projects need to realize that regressions are totally
and utterly unacceptable.

The "long term cleaner issues" can be handled separately, but are
*not* an excuse to work around clear regressions in core packages.
That just encourages those package maintainers to be shit maintainers.

Just fix udev, which had a regression. And stop blaming the kernel for
user space breakage! Tying these kinds of things together ("udev
broke, so now we need to change the kernel") is *wrong*. It's totally
unacceptable to tie the two together that way.

Linus

  Last update: 2012-09-06 05:22    [W:0.081 / U:1.328 seconds]