SubjectRe: Controlling devices and device namespaces
> At least with a recent modern distro I can't imagine this to be an
> issue. I expect we could have a kernel build option that removed the
> mknod system call and a modern distro wouldn't notice.

A few things beyond named pipes will break. PCMCIA I believe still
depends on ugly mknod hackery of its own. You also need it for some
classes of non detectable device.

Basically though you could.

> For migration with direct access to real hardware devices we must treat
> it as hardware hotunplug. There is nothing else we can do.

That is demonstrably false for a shared bus or a network linked device.
Consider a firewire camera wired to two systems at once. Consider SAN
storage.

Alan

  Last update: 2012-09-16 18:41    [W:0.129 / U:0.624 seconds]