SubjectRe: [RFC] cgroup TODOs
Hello, again.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 12:49:50PM -0700, Tejun Heo wrote:
> That said, if someone can think of a better solution, I'm all ears.
> One thing that *has* to be maintained is that it should be able to tag
> a resource in such way that its associated controllers are
> identifiable regardless of which task is looking at it.

So, I thought about it more. How about we do "consider / ignore this
node" instead of "(don't) nest beyond this level". For example, let's
assume a tree like the following.

/ | \
A B C
/ \
AA AB

If we want to differentiate between AA and AB, we'll have to consider
the whole tree with the previous sheme - A needs to nest, so R needs
to nest and we end up with the whole tree. Instead, if we have honor
/ ignore this node. We can set the honor bit on A, AA and AB and see
the tree as

/ \
AA AB

We still see the intermediate A node but can ignore the other
branches. Implementation and concept-wise, it's fairly simple too.
For any given node and controller, you travel upwards until you meet a
node which has the controller enabled and that's the cgroup the
controller considers.

Thanks.

--
tejun

  Last update: 2012-09-14 23:21    [W:1.595 / U:0.052 seconds]