SubjectRE: [RFC/PATCH] zcache/ramster rewrite and promotion
> From: Pekka Enberg [mailto:penberg@kernel.org]
> Subject: Re: [RFC/PATCH] zcache/ramster rewrite and promotion
>
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Dan Magenheimer
> <dan.magenheimer@oracle.com> wrote:
> > Hmmm.. there's also zbud.c and tmem.c which are critical components
> > of both zcache and ramster. And there are header files as well which
> > will need to either be in mm/ or somewhere in include/linux/
> >
> > Is there a reason or rule that mm/ can't have subdirectories?
> >
> > Since zcache has at least three .c files plus ramster.c, and
> > since mm/frontswap.c and mm/cleancache.c are the foundation on
> > which all of these are built, I was thinking grouping all six
> > (plus headers) in the same mm/tmem/ subdirectory was a good
> > way to keep mm/ from continuing to get more cluttered... not counting
> > new zcache and ramster files, there are now 74 .c files in mm/!
> > (Personally, I think a directory has too many files in it if
> > "ls" doesn't fit in a 25x80 window.)
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> There's no reason we can't have subdirectories. That said, I really
> don't see the point of having a separate directory called 'tmem'. It
> might make sense to have mm/zcache and/or mm/ramster but I suspect
> you can just fold the core code in mm/zcache.c and mm/ramster.c by
> slimming down the weird Solaris-like 'tmem' abstractions.

I'm not sure I understand... what is Solaris-like about tmem?
And what would you slim down?

While I agree one can often glom three separate 1000-line .c files
into a single 3000-line .c file, I recently spent some time moving
the other direction to, I thought, improve readability. Do kernel
developers have a preference for huge .c files rather than smaller
logically-separated moderate-sized files in a subdirectory?

Thanks,
Dan

  Last update: 2012-08-07 16:21    [W:0.090 / U:0.028 seconds]