SubjectRe: xtensa port maintenance
Hi Max,

On 08/06/2012 04:38 PM, Max Filippov wrote:
> AFAIK xtensa linux port is currently in bad shape: it doesn't work in the
> mainline, it fails to build in the linux-next. The latest working kernels for
> xtensa are 2.6.29...31 trees hosted at the git.linux-xtensa.org.
I wouldn't say it's in bad shape, I just built an vmlinux image from the
latest tree (3.6.0-rc1), but it might not be very stable. One of the
major issues is not really the kernel but there's actually no way to
build a fairly recent version of the toolchain. I have been using a
somewhat more recent buildroot version than what is on xtensa-linux.org,
but even that version of buildroot is rather old now and needed a few
patches.

The tree on linux-xtensa.org has quite diverted from mainline now. Pete
has done a great job maintaining those kernel versions, fixing a lot of
bugs, and adding a ton of new additional features, but it will take
quite some effort to merge them with the latest kernel.

> I have a goal to make xtensa arch in the linux mainline usable.
Awesome!! Every help is very much appreciated.

> Currently I have a number of patches on top of Linus' tree that allow to build
> working allnoconfig, defconfig and allmodconfig kernels for ISS machine with
> dc232b and fsf core variants [1]. For the next several weeks I'm planning to
You might expect that I'm more than curious to see those changes :-)

> forward-port patches accumulated in linux-xtensa.org git trees and make the
> resulting kernels rock-solid. I'd like to restore xtensa participation in the
> linux-next. Further (currently undetailed) plans are to bring modern Linux
> features to the xtensa port, e.g. device trees.
That would be great. Might I also add that we'd need to have a working
toolchain and bootable image. For me, buildroot seems to be the quickest
route here. That would also require possibly adding patches to the
toolchain and uClibc that are currently missing. There's also the
bootloader, etc.

> I have a couple of questions regarding the path of xtensa-specific patches
> upstream:
> - which git tree should they be targeted for? Should I set up a tree for
> pull requests, or will patches be picked up into some existing tree?
> (Looks like Linus' tree is the right target. AFAIK previously xtensa
> patches went mostly through akpm tree).
Yes, Andrew has been very helpful stepping in and adding those patches.
Most if not all of those patches were fixes because of generic kernel
changes and not major fixes or changes to the core of the Xtensa port.

Ideally, it would be great if you could create a git tree (I saw you
already have a version on github already?) that would allow us to look
over those patches. The goal should be to have a system to build
toolchain, bootable image, and kernel, so we can run some regression
tests on either the simulator (qemu) or an actual board. Once we have a
regression test system in place, we can then add more features and
funnel those patches either through me or more directly..

What do you think?

If you already have such a system in place, it would be great if you
could send me some instructions to recreate it locally. We can give you
also access to the wiki to add any information there.

> - which mailing lists should they go to?
> (I guess that besides linux-xtensa@linux-xtensa.org list they should go
> to linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org for general review. Anything else?)
For now, I would really appreciate if you could hold off sending any
major patch to the linux-kernel mailing list until we had a chance to
look over them unless it's some generic patch (fixing an issue because
of an API change to the kernel, etc.)

Andrew is currently adding all Xtensa patches sent to that list, and I
would hate having to irritate him having to ask to remove or change
patches, etc.

> Should you wonder what I am:
> I am a member of St.Petersburg Open Source and Linux Lab [2].
> My previous contributions to Linux are related to p54spi wireless driver.
> I'm also a developer and maintainer of the target-xtensa QEMU port [3].
That's so great!! I didn't know there was a QEMU port for Xtensa.

Bottom line, I hope you agree with me that the kernel, although the most
fun part, is only one piece of the puzzle, and we also need a running
system. If you already have that in place, we can jump to the kernel
fairly quickly.

Thanks,
-Chris

  Last update: 2012-08-07 08:21    [W:1.739 / U:0.148 seconds]