    SubjectRe: [Regression] "x86-64/efi: Use EFI to deal with platform wall clock" prevents my machine from booting
    >>> On 06.08.12 at 14:52, Matthew Garrett <> wrote:
    > On Mon, Aug 06, 2012 at 07:44:34AM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
    >> In any case, without having seen _how_ things break I don't
    >> think a decision should be taken if/how to address this
    >> (apparent) regression.
    > Machines that previously worked no longer work. That's a pretty strong
    > argument in favour of reverting until we can identify a workaround.

    Yes, one can view it that way. But then again things should have
    been the way they are now from the beginning - it appears
    rather questionable how someone would have come up with the
    strange idea to stick some #ifdef CONFIG_X86_32 in there, and
    not even bother to comment this hackery. Hence my position is
    that this really very likely should have never worked on the box
    in question, it was merely one bug hiding another. But of course
    all this is guesswork without knowing the technical details of the
    observed crash.

    Plus I'm pretty convinced that once the change gets reverted,
    the code will remain that way for another couple of years (and
    quite likely whatever UEFI implementation it is that we have
    the problem with here will too), as then there's no incentive for
    anyone to get this done properly (until the then very sad day
    where some EFI system shows up that, being legacy free,
    _really_ doesn't have a CMOS RTC anymore - with the change
    at hand I merely tried to be proactive).

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-08-06 15:42    [W:0.023 / U:9.592 seconds]