    SubjectRe: [RFC] page-table walkers vs memory order
    * Andrea Arcangeli (aarcange@redhat.com) wrote:
    > On Sat, Aug 04, 2012 at 03:02:45PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
    > > OK, I'll bite. ;-)
    >
    > :))
    >
    > > The most sane way for this to happen is with feedback-driven techniques
    > > involving profiling, similar to what is done for basic-block reordering
    > > or branch prediction. The idea is that you compile the kernel in an
    > > as-yet (and thankfully) mythical pointer-profiling mode, which records
    > > the values of pointer loads and also measures the pointer-load latency.
    > > If a situation is found where a given pointer almost always has the
    > > same value but has high load latency (for example, is almost always a
    > > high-latency cache miss), this fact is recorded and fed back into a
    > > subsequent kernel build. This subsequent kernel build might choose to
    > > speculate the value of the pointer concurrently with the pointer load.
    > >
    > > And of course, when interpreting the phrase "most sane way" at the
    > > beginning of the prior paragraph, it would probably be wise to keep
    > > in mind who wrote it. And that "most sane way" might have little or
    > > no resemblance to anything that typical kernel hackers would consider
    > > anywhere near sanity. ;-)
    >
    > I see. The above scenario is sure fair enough assumption. We're
    > clearly stretching the constraints to see what is theoretically
    > possible and this is a very clear explanation of how gcc could have an
    > hardcoded "guessed" address in the .text.
    >
    > Next step to clearify now, is how gcc can safely dereference such a
    > "guessed" address without the kernel knowing about it.
    >
    > If gcc would really dereference a guessed address coming from a
    > profiling run without kernel being aware of it, it would eventually
    > crash the kernel with an oops. gcc cannot know what another CPU will
    > do with the kernel pagetables. It'd be perfectly legitimate to
    > temporarily move the data at the "guessed address" to another page and
    > to update the pointer through stop_cpu during some weird "cpu
    > offlining scenario" or anything you can imagine. I mean gcc must
    > behave in all cases so it's not allowed to deference the guessed
    > address at any given time.

    A compiler could decide to dereference it using a non-faulting load,
    do the calculations or whatever on the returned value of the non-faulting
    load, and then check whether the load actually faulted, and whether the
    address matched the prediction before it did a store based on it's
    guess.

    Dave
    / Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux | Happy \
    \ gro.gilbert @ treblig.org | | In Hex /

      Last update: 2012-08-05 01:41    [W:0.038 / U:0.540 seconds]