    SubjectRE: [RFC 2/4] ARM: dma-mapping: IOMMU allocates pages from pool with GFP_ATOMIC
    Date
    Hello,

    On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 3:37 PM Hiroshi Doyu wrote:

    > KyongHo Cho <pullip.cho@samsung.com> wrote @ Wed, 22 Aug 2012 14:47:00 +0200:
    >
    > > vzalloc() call in __iommu_alloc_buffer() also causes BUG() in atomic context.
    >
    > Right.
    >
    > I've been thinking that kzalloc() may be enough here, since
    > vzalloc() was introduced to avoid allocation failure for big chunk of
    > memory, but I think that it's unlikely that the number of page array
    > can be so big. So I propose to drop vzalloc() here, and just simply to
    > use kzalloc only as below(*1).

    We already had a discussion about this, so I don't think it makes much sense to
    change it back to kzalloc. This vmalloc() call won't hurt anyone. It should not
    be considered a problem for atomic allocations, because no sane driver will try
    to allocate buffers larger than a dozen KiB with GFP_ATOMIC flag. I would call
    such try a serious bug, which we should not care here.

    Best regards
    --
    Marek Szyprowski
    Samsung Poland R&D Center

      Last update: 2012-08-23 08:41    [W:0.024 / U:29.564 seconds]