    SubjectRe: [REGRESION] Suspend hangs with 3.6-rc1 on Lenovo T60 notebook

    On 08/17/2012 04:27 PM, Alan Stern wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Alan Stern wrote:
    >> On Fri, 17 Aug 2012, Hans de Goede wrote:
    >>> No my patch was a hack to undo the results of the commit causing
    >>> the regression in the IDE case. But Alan's approach clearly is
    >>> much better! Once we are sure drvdata is not used anywhere the
    >>> dev_set_drvdata call could be removed in the place where my
    >>> hack added a second call to it. Note that there are likely
    >>> actual ide drivers using it, without setting it themselves since
    >>> the ide core was setting it. So removing it will require even more
    >>> auditing / checking.
    >> I did search for dev_get_drvdata() calls in drivers/ide; there were no
    >> other calls that retrieved an ide_drive_t value. But I didn't check
    >> anywhere else in the kernel. In fact, I'm not sure where else to look.
    > After a little more checking: Among all the .c files in the kernel
    > which match the pattern '[^a-z]ide_', the only occurrences of
    > dev_get_drvdata() which retrieve an ide_drive_t value are the two in
    > ide-pm.c.

    Thanks, good work! That means we should move forward with submitting
    Miklos' patch to the ide subsystem maintainer asap.

    Also if someone feels like it we still could do the 2 follow up / clean
    up patches:

    1) Removin the set_drvdata call from hwif_register_devices()
    in ide-prove.c
    2) Fixup ide-generic.c ide_remove to not dereference a NULL dev->driver

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-08-17 18:01    [W:0.024 / U:3.544 seconds]