    SubjectRe: [Ksummit-2012-discuss] [ATTEND or not ATTEND] That's the question!
    On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 01:43:06PM +0400, Glauber Costa wrote:
    > On 06/20/2012 11:51 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
    > > On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 07:29:06AM -0600, Jonathan Corbet wrote:

    > >> I would dearly love to come up with a way to measure "real work" in
    > >> some fashion; I've just not, yet, figured out how to do that. I do
    > >> fear that the simple numbers we're able to generate end up creating the
    > >> wrong kinds of incentives.
    > >
    > > I can't see any alternative to explaining what somebody did and why it
    > > was important.
    > >
    > > To that end, the best resource for understanding the value of somebody's
    > > work is the kernel page--if their work has been discussed there.
    > >
    > > So, all you need to do is to hire a dozen more of you, and we're
    > > covered!
    > >
    > > --b.
    > >

    > >> Any thoughts on how to measure "consolidation effects"? I toss out
    > >> numbers on code removal sometimes, but that turns out to not be a whole
    > >> lot more useful than anything else on its own.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > Resurrecting this one.
    > So something just came across my mind: When I first read this thread, my
    > inner reaction was: "People will find ways to bypass and ill-optimize
    > their workflow for whatever measure we come up with".
    > That's is pure human nature. Whenever we set up a metric, that becomes a
    > goal and a bunch of people - not all - will deviate from their expected
    > workflow to maximize that number. This happens with paper count in the
    > scientific community, for the Higgs Boson's sake! Why wouldn't it happen
    > with *any* metric we set for ourselves?
    > So per-se, the fact that we have a lot of people trying to find out what
    > our metrics are, and look good in the face of it, is just a testament to
    > the success of Linux - but we know that already.
    > The summary here, is that I don't think patch count *per se* is a bad
    > metric. Maybe we should just tweak the way we measure a bit to steer
    > people towards doing more useful work, and that would aid our review.
    > The same way we have checkpatch, we can have something automated that
    > will attempt to rule out some trivial patches in the counting process.
    > We can scan a patch, and easily determine if each part of it is:
    > * pure whitespace
    > * pure Documentation change
    > * comment fix
    > And if a patch is 100 % comprised by those, we simply don't count it.
    > People that just want to increase their numbers - they will always
    > exist, will tend to stop doing that. Simply because doing it will not
    > help them at all.

    OTOH, documentation changes or comment fixes, and even sometimes pure whitespace
    fixes, can be very valuable contributions. This can be a useful and ungrateful
    work and that deserve credit.

    We just can't find an automated and right way to evaluate a contribution.

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-07-06 12:41    [W:0.029 / U:189.388 seconds]