    SubjectRe: [Ilw] Re: 3.4-rc2, ilwagn still most of the time completely unusable
    From
    On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> wrote:
    > On Do, 28 Jun 2012, Johannes Berg wrote:
    >> Somehow your mail didn't make it to the lists, not sure why.
    >
    > Hmm, yeah, some of the emails were privte exchange with
    > Venkataraman and Lin.
    >
    >> Fun. I don't actually see how this can possibly happen though?!
    >
    > Hmm, actually I think I have seen similar things quite regularly,
    > and reported them also.

    >> > These messages now appear only now and then.
    >>
    >> I fixed those recently.
    >
    > Good.

    Just a report to say that I still see those in 3.5.0-rc5.

    I recently moved from a Dell Latitude 6400, with a bcm4322 chip managed
    by the Broadcom-STA out-of-tree driver (wl module) to the new Latitude 6420,
    which has this as per lspci:

    02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (rev 34)

    and I have two issues compared to the bcm4322; one is the above message,
    which appears when the driver can't associate to my D-Link DSL2740B router;
    telnetting into the router and bouncing its AP component via wlctl is enough
    to allow the laptop to connect again.
    At the same time, my wife's old 32-bit Dell D610 with an ipw2200 connects just
    fine to the DSL-2740B.

    The second issue is that the wifi speed is much lower with the new 6420 under
    iwlwifi - topping out at under 3MB/s compared with peaks of 10MB/s with the
    bcm4322's wl driver, which hardly ever went under 6MB/s.

    iwconfig wlan0 reports fluctuating bitrates of 18/24/36 Mb/s whereas I could see
    very easily 130Mb/s with the wl driver. Maybe something is also due to the fact
    that the DSL-2740B has a draft-N implementation and its Broadcom chip has
    better feelings with the laptop's Broadcom wl than the iwlwifi.

    I'm available for more detailed reporting and testing.

    Thanks,

    >> You seem to be on 3.5.0-rc now, is that really no different from 3.4?
    >
    > The feeling is that it is definitely better.
    >
    > I can actually work now wirelessly, and in case of hangs an rfkill block
    > rfkill unblock practically always, and mostly is not needed.
    >
    > So yes, it is better, definitely.
    >
    > I think till 3.4 I had to use the cable quite regularly.
    >
    > Best wishes
    >
    > Norbert

    --alessandro

    "don't underestimate the things that I will do"

    (Adele, "Rolling In The Deep")

      Last update: 2012-07-03 22:21    [W:0.024 / U:62.216 seconds]