SubjectRe: [MMTests] IO metadata on XFS
On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 02:31:19PM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 11:59:51AM +0100, Mel Gorman wrote:

> > > Doesn't seem to be the major cause of the regression. By itself, it
> > > has impact, but the majority comes from the XFS change...
> > >

> > The fact it has an impact at all is weird but lets see what the DRI
> > folks think about it.
>
> Well, presuming I understand things correctly the cpu die only goes into
> the lowest sleep state (which iirc switches off l3 caches and
> interconnects) when both the cpu and gpu are in the lowest sleep state.

I made a mistake in my previous mail. gdm and X were were *not* running.
Once the screen blanked I would guess the GPU is in a low sleep state
the majority of the time.

> rc6 is that deep-sleep state for the gpu, so without that enabled your
> system won't go into these deep-sleep states.
>
> I guess the slight changes in wakeup latency, power consumption (cuts
> about 10W on an idle desktop snb with resulting big effect on what turbo
> boost can sustain for short amounts of time) and all the follow-on effects
> are good enough to massively change timing-critical things.

Maybe. How aggressively is the lowest sleep state entered and how long
does it take to exit?

> So this having an effect isn't too weird.
>
> Obviously, if you also have X running while doing these tests there's the
> chance that the gpu dies because of an issue when waking up from rc6
> (we've known a few of these), but if no drm client is up, that shouldn't
> be possible. So please retest without X running if that hasn't been done
> already.

Again, sorry for the confusion but the posted results are without X running.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2012-07-03 15:41    [W:0.147 / U:0.032 seconds]