    SubjectRe: [RFC 0/2] virtio: provide a way for host to monitor critical events in the device
    On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 02:26:33PM +0200, Sasha Levin wrote:
    > On 07/24/2012 09:44 AM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
    > > On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:32:39PM +0200, Sasha Levin wrote:
    > >> As it was discussed recently, there's currently no way for the guest to notify
    > >> the host about panics. Further more, there's no reasonable way to notify the
    > >> host of other critical events such as an OOM kill.
    > >>
    > >> This short patch series introduces a new device named virtio-notifier which
    > >> does two simple things:
    > >>
    > >> 1. Provide a simple interface for the guest to notify the host of critical
    > > To get early OOPSes virtio will have to be compiled into the kernel. If
    > > your are so keen on using virtio for this though, why not just use
    > > dedicated virtio serial channel?
    >
    > Let's separate between having log for these events and receiving notifications about them.
    >
    > For the log part, I can already run a simple serial console to dump everything somewhere. I'm more concerned about having notifications about something critical happening when the guest is already up and running.

    I am talking about notifications. Run your notification protocol over
    dedicated virtio-serial channel. Logs goes to virtio-console as you've
    said.

    --
    Gleb.

      Last update: 2012-07-24 15:21    [W:0.050 / U:30.400 seconds]