    SubjectRe: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [RFC] Simplifying kernel configuration for distro issues
    On 17.7.2012 10:03, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
    > On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Linus Torvalds
    > <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    >> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM, <david@lang.hm> wrote:
    >>> Some of the proposed ways to implement the minimum distro kernel would not
    >>> allow you to override the distro defaults because they would be implemented
    >>> by setting dependancies, not by selecting options that you as the user could
    >>> then unselect.
    >>
    >> The sanest thing to do is just a list of "select" statements. And in
    >> any case it would have to depend on the "distro config" entry, so EVEN
    >> THEN you could just create the Kconfig file, then edit out the distro
    >> config thing, and then do whatever you want.
    >
    > Except that "select" is one of the ugliest things in Kconfig, as it
    > blindly sets a symbol
    > without checking if its dependencies are fulfilled.

    But for the few options Linus proposed (TMPFS, TMPFS_POSIX_*,
    DEVTMPFS(_MOUNT)), the amount of additional dependencies is reasonable.
    For something more advanced like 'build me a kernel for a laptop with
    $VENDOR hardware', we would need a better dependency solver, indeed.

    Michal

      Last update: 2012-07-19 18:41    [W:0.023 / U:89.236 seconds]