    SubjectRe: Linux 3.5-rc7
    Date
    Am Sonntag, 15. Juli 2012 schrieb Linus Torvalds:
    > Hey guys,

    Hi Linus,

    > remember how things have been stabilizing and slowing down,
    > and all the kernel developers were off on summer vacation?
    >
    > Yeah, we need to talk about that. Because I last week I thought that
    > making an -rc7 was not necessarily realy required, except perhaps
    > mainly to check the late printk changes. But then today and yesterday,
    > I got a ton of small pull requests, and now I find myself releasing an
    > -rc7 that is actually bigger than rc6 was.
    >
    > Not cool, guys. Not cool.
    >
    > Now, admittedly, most of this is pretty small. The loadavg calculation
    > fix patch is pretty big, but quite a lot of that is added comments
    > (*big* added comments). . But there's Andrew's patch-bomb, there's
    > media fixes, there's random SOC fixes, powerpc fixes, USB, sound, you
    > name it.
    >
    > Ok, so it's still not *huge*, but it's bigger than -rc6 was. I had
    > hoped for less.

    Regresses badly on resume from in-kernel hibernation. I.e. hangs with some
    red graphics artifacts on the tty. The same artifacts appear for a short
    time with rc6 + some commits as well, but there then X.org is available
    again.

    2437fccfbfc83bcb868ccc7fdfe2b5310bf07835 – thats rc6 + some commits –
    works, while exactly rc7 does not.

    No bisection tried so far. Maybe tomorrow. It shouldn´t be that many
    attempts and kernel compiles are fast on the ThinkPad T520 with Intel i5
    Sandybridge + integrated graphics – no NVidia – + Intel SSD 320 where this
    happens. No other machines tested so far.

    Kernel configuration available if desired.

    Thanks,