SubjectRe: Linux 3.5-rc7
Date
Am Sonntag, 15. Juli 2012 schrieb Linus Torvalds:
> Hey guys,

Hi Linus,

> remember how things have been stabilizing and slowing down,
> and all the kernel developers were off on summer vacation?
>
> Yeah, we need to talk about that. Because I last week I thought that
> making an -rc7 was not necessarily realy required, except perhaps
> mainly to check the late printk changes. But then today and yesterday,
> I got a ton of small pull requests, and now I find myself releasing an
> -rc7 that is actually bigger than rc6 was.
>
> Not cool, guys. Not cool.
>
> Now, admittedly, most of this is pretty small. The loadavg calculation
> fix patch is pretty big, but quite a lot of that is added comments
> (*big* added comments). . But there's Andrew's patch-bomb, there's
> media fixes, there's random SOC fixes, powerpc fixes, USB, sound, you
> name it.
>
> Ok, so it's still not *huge*, but it's bigger than -rc6 was. I had
> hoped for less.

Regresses badly on resume from in-kernel hibernation. I.e. hangs with some
red graphics artifacts on the tty. The same artifacts appear for a short
time with rc6 + some commits as well, but there then X.org is available
again.

2437fccfbfc83bcb868ccc7fdfe2b5310bf07835 – thats rc6 + some commits –
works, while exactly rc7 does not.

No bisection tried so far. Maybe tomorrow. It shouldn´t be that many
attempts and kernel compiles are fast on the ThinkPad T520 with Intel i5
Sandybridge + integrated graphics – no NVidia – + Intel SSD 320 where this
happens. No other machines tested so far.

Kernel configuration available if desired.

Thanks,