SubjectRe: Does perf inject preserve call chain data?
Em Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:52:15PM -0700, Andi Kleen escreveu:

> Since this is a common pattern with files, but files are often slow
> and too big, it would be nice if perf had a standard alias that
> started this pipeline.

I think this is just a variation for perf top, no? I.e. something like:

# perf top -a -G sleep 5

Where it would figure out that since a workload was specified, it should
just not be refreshing the screen every N seconds but wait till the
workload to finish and then present the results, without setting up any
perf.data files.

It could as well show intermediate results every N seconds, but not decay
the older samples, which should be even nicer.

For workloads where there is output it could spawn another term, in the
background perhaps, that the user could switch to to see the samples
collected while the workload runs.

That looks like a step in the direction of more integration of the
tools, i.e. record + report (top being report+refreshes) + annotate.

- Arnaldo

  Last update: 2012-06-09 18:41    [W:0.862 / U:0.060 seconds]