    SubjectImproving SD/SDHC/SDXC write performance by using a discard/TRIM like operation
    Date
    When I read reports from (non-expert) users who claimed that they were able
    to restore the initial write performance of their SDXC cards by using a "special
    formatter tool" (while normal "formatting" did not improve performance),
    I was very sceptical, as I also had read that there is no way to discard/TRIM
    blocks on SD/SDHC/SDXC cards.

    But then I noticed that this "special formatter" tool was actually offered (for free)
    by the SD Association:
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
    ... and its documentation clearly states that this tool is capable of using
    "flash erase" operations on SD cards, which are said to be different from
    ordinary "overwrites", see
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/SDFormatter_3.1e.pdf
    pages 7 ("Format type Erase" vs. "Format type Overwrite") and the screen shot on page 9.

    Now I wonder: Is there really such a thing as a command to erase NAND flashes
    in SD cards like there is for SSDs? If so, it would certainly be a good thing
    to support it with Linux block discard...

    Regards,

    Lutz Vieweg

      Last update: 2012-06-04 21:01    [W:0.068 / U:93.320 seconds]