SubjectRe: WARNING: at mm/page-writeback.c:1990 __set_page_dirty_nobuffers+0x13a/0x170()
On Sun, 3 Jun 2012, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 02:31:39PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:

> > > Yeah, at this point I think we need to just revert the compaction changes.
> > >
> > > Guys, what's the minimal set of commits to revert? That clearly buggy
> > > "rescue_unmovable_pageblock()" function was introduced by commit
> > > 5ceb9ce6fe94, but is that actually involved with the particular bug?
> > > That commit seems to revert cleanly still, but is that sufficient or
> > > does it even matter?
> >
> > I'l rerun the test with that (and Hugh's last patch) backed out, and see
> > if that makes any difference.
>
> running just over two hours with that commit reverted with no obvious ill effects so far.

Yes, and I ran happily with precisely that commit reverted on Friday -
though I've never got the list corruption that you saw with it in.

The locking bug certainly comes in with that commit, it's an isolated
commit that reverts cleanly, and I think you got the list corruption
rather sooner than two hours before (9min, 30min, 41min from the traces
you sent).

Maybe we should let you run a little longer, or wait for others to comment.

But another strike against that commit: I tried fixing it up to use
start_page instead of page at the end, with the worrying but safer
locking I suggested at first, with a count of how many times it went
there, and how many times it succeeded.

While I ran my usual swapping test (perhaps that's a very unfair test
to run on this, I've no idea) for seven hours, it went there 25406
times (once per second, it appears) and it succeeded... 0 times.

Let's hope it failed quickly each time, I wasn't capturing that.

Hugh

  Last update: 2012-06-04 00:41    [W:0.087 / U:2.196 seconds]