    SubjectPorting older Harvard architecture kernel patch to latest stable kernel (3.4.4)
    From
    [cc'ing Ingo for the NX-bit similarity in the patch and the authors of
    the paper]

    Hi all,

    I recently came across a code injection prevention framework [2] (and
    the paper related to it [1]) that patches a kernel to emulate a
    Harvard architecture whereby the authors of the paper show in [1] that
    code injections don't have any affect. One of the features of this
    patch is the non-executable pages (similar to the NX-bit provided by
    processors) provided to provide the separation between code and data.
    If you notice the patch that is present in [2] is for 2.6.13 and I
    know that they have been _many_ changes to the APIs and such since
    then, so where can I find more information on how to port this patch
    to the latest stable kernel? I realize parts of the patch are obsolete
    however newer API which can remove some of the clutter from the
    original patch. Is there a script that can be used to map some of the
    API so I can replace those parts or is it just trial and error? Thanks
    for your time. (I can attach the patch from the archive if needed, I
    didn't add it because I'm cc'ing other people)

    [1] http://friends.cs.purdue.edu/pubs/dsn07-codeinj.pdf
    [2] http://friends.cs.purdue.edu/projects/codeinj/get.php
    [3] http://friends.cs.purdue.edu/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=code_injection

    Vikram

      Last update: 2012-06-23 07:21    [W:0.021 / U:64.092 seconds]