SubjectRe: Bug in net/ipv6/ip6_fib.c:fib6_dump_table()
On 06/22/2012 03:29 AM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-06-22 at 01:49 -0500, Josh Hunt wrote:

>>> A mere revert wont be enough.
>>>
>>> Looking at this code, it lacks proper synchronization
>>> between tree updaters and tree walkers.
>>>
>>> fib6_walker_lock rwlock is not enough to prevent races.
>>>
>>> Are you willing to fix this yourself ?
>>>

>> Looking through the code a bit more it seems like we would need to have
>> a lock in fib6_walker_t to protect its contents. Mainly for when we
>> update the pointers in fib6_del_route and fib6_repair_tree. Right now
>> there is the fib6_walker_lock, but that appears to only be protecting
>> the elements of the list, not their contents. Is this what you had in
>> mind? I just coded up something along these lines and it works for the
>> most part, but I also got a message about unsafe lock ordering when I
>> stressed it so I am messing something up. If this sounds like it's on
>> the right track I can work out the kinks in the morning.
>
> Hmm, it seems tb6_lock is held by a writer, so its safe :
>
> a tree walker can run only holding a read_lock on tb6_lock

Ahh. That makes sense and is what Alexey said before I just didn't put
it all together. So we are OK reverting this patch? I cannot find a path
where the walker's pointers are updated without the tb6_lock write_lock.

Josh

  Last update: 2012-06-22 16:21    [W:0.267 / U:0.252 seconds]