    SubjectRe: [patch 3.5-rc3] mm, mempolicy: fix mbind() to do synchronous migration
    On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 17:46:52 -0700 Linus Torvalds <> wrote:

    > On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Andrew Morton
    > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > I can't really do anything with this patch - it's a bug added by
    > > Peter's "mm/mpol: Simplify do_mbind()" and added to linux-next via one
    > > of Ingo's trees.
    > >
    > > And I can't cleanly take the patch over as it's all bound up with the
    > > other changes for sched/numa balancing.
    > I took the patch, it looked obviously correct (passing in a boolean
    > was clearly crap).

    Ah, OK, the bug was actually "retained" by "mm/mpol: Simplify do_mbind()".

    I do still ask what the plans are for that patchset..

    > I wonder if I should make sparse warn about any casts to/from enums.
    > They tend to always be wrong.

    I think it would be worth trying, see how much fallout there is. Also
    casts from "enum a" to "enum b". We've had a few of those,

    And casts to/from bool, perhaps. To squish the warning we'd do things
    like a_bool = !!a_int. That generates extra code, but gcc internally
    generates extra code for a_bool = a_int anyway, and a quick test here
    indicates that the generated code is identical (testl/setne).

    It would be nice to find a way of converting an integer which is known
    to be 1 or 0 into a bool without generating any code, but I haven't
    found a way of tricking the compiler into doing that. It's all a bit
    of a downside to using bool at all.

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-06-22 04:21    [W:0.085 / U:46.940 seconds]