    SubjectRe: SNB PCI root information
    On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Bjorn Helgaas <> wrote:
    > I don't understand this.  Is there an *advantage* to silently throwing
    > away the information the user specified on the command line?  If the
    > user goes to the trouble of discovering and using a command line
    > argument, I think that user-supplied information should override
    > anything the kernel can figure out on its own.  Ulrich, do you have an
    > opinion either way?

    If the BIOS information we look for would be something generic then we
    might want to have something to overwrite. But in this case it's a
    very specific piece of information which only has one correct value
    and I'd hope the BIOS writers get it right.

    Assuming this there *might* be value in having it the way the patch
    does now. If the BIOS changes it could in theory also renumber the
    devices etc. In this case the kernel command line overwrite values
    might become wrong while a newly-added _PXM entry might be right.
    We've seen all kind of things happening on BIOS updates...

    On the other hand it's easy enough to then remove the kernel command
    line parameter. It's also probably more in line with other parameters
    which overwrite information the kernel determines otherwise

    I'd be willing to go with Yinghai's recommendation and give the BIOS
    writers the benefit of a doubt that they get things right. If they
    prove to be incapable again we can still change the option handling to
    overwrite the kernel setting regardless.

      Last update: 2012-06-20 20:41    [W:0.028 / U:20.920 seconds]