    SubjectRe: automated warning notifications
    [CC sparse developers]

    // on setting up a list and sending newly found sparse warnings to it

    On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 10:12:22AM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
    > On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 09:48:35AM +0800, Fengguang Wu wrote:
    > > The lots of false warnings are a big problem. It makes the automated
    > > notification more noises than signals to people. So I end up disabling
    > > the sparse check totally..
    > >
    > I do a basic sanity check of my emails before I send them.

    Yeah that would be better.

    > Sometimes I do send false positives. If the warning is introduced
    > by a very new code then probably the patch author can answer my
    > question off the top of her head. Also I send some false positives
    > just to try learn what the rules are.

    > > In an average working day, 1-2 build errors will be caught and email
    > > notified. I guess there will be more sparse warnings if it's turned
    > > on.
    > >
    > > Perhaps the sparse warnings can be enabled, but only sent to the patch
    > > author. If you and anyone else are interested, they could be sent to
    > > some mailing list, too. One thing I'm sure is, we probably never want
    > > to disturb the busy maintainers with these warnings.
    > Eventually I think we will want to set up a mailing list for this or
    > we will start sending duplicate messages.

    Fair enough. How can we setup the mailing list? Once the list up, it
    would be trivial for me to send sparse warnings out there.

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-06-15 10:41    [W:0.027 / U:54.412 seconds]