SubjectRE: [RFC][Patch]efi_pstore:Introduce an efi_pstore_overwrite parameter to avoid missing messages in NVRAM
Thank you for your comment.

> Since the EFI backend has so little storage space ... perhaps it should have some overwrite rules built into it?

I think so.
If multiple triggers don't stride across the reboot, I think we can make an automated rule.

> If this seems a plausible route ... we'd need to tabulate the overwrite rules. I think they are:
> shutdown/reboot/kexec - can be overwritten by OOPS

In my usecase, emergency_restart can be overwritten by OOPS

> OOPS can be overwritten by panic
> panic can never be overwritten

I can make a patch in accordance with the rule above.

Should it be in pstore layer?
- introducing a new global variable storing a previous trigger.
- deciding if we can continue by checking a value of previous trigger at the beginning of pstore_dump().

> I'd like to avoid a kernel parameter ... chances are too high that the machine would be automatically rebooted without the right boot
> argument.

But, I'm not sure if we can simply apply the rule above in case where multiple triggers stride across the reboot...
In this case, emergency_restart cannot be overwritten by panic..

Anyway, I will consider the possibility of avoiding a kernel parameter.

Seiji

  Last update: 2012-06-14 02:01    [W:0.042 / U:1.276 seconds]