    SubjectRE: hung_task checking and sys_sync
    There   was  another  patch   addressing  these  type  of  issue .

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Mandeep Baines []
    Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:45 PM
    To: Daniel Walker
    Subject: Re: hung_task checking and sys_sync

    On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Daniel Walker <> wrote:
    > On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 03:29:12PM -0700, Mandeep Singh Baines wrote:
    >> But the time is not unbounded. You could mask the hung_task_detector
    >> for this case but then you lose the ability to catch bugs in this code
    >> The timeout is configurable via
    >> Can you bump up the value at boot via sysctl.conf?
    > Maybe, but I'm wondering if these types should just be stopped because
    > Andrew had complained about them already.

    Fair enough. Actually, internally I had a patch where we'd use a task flag
    to disable and enable the hang check but the approach in the patch you
    pointed me to seems better.

    >> > Has there been any commit that disable these messages bdi_sched_wait?
    >> >
    >> No. There is no mechanism to disable hung_task for a specific code
    >> We do skip processes if PF_PROZEN or PF_FROZEN_SKIP is set but that
    >> is really a different situation where the wait is unbounded.
    > There is presidence for this type of change,
    > Author: Mark Lord <>
    > Date:   Fri Sep 24 09:51:13 2010 -0400
    >    block: Prevent hang_check firing during long I/O
    >    During long I/O operations, the hang_check timer may fire,
    >    trigger stack dumps that unnecessarily alarm the user.
    >    Eg.  hdparm --security-erase NULL /dev/sdb  ## can take *hours* to
    > complete
    >    So, if hang_check is armed, we should wake up periodically
    >    to prevent it from triggering.  This patch uses a wake-up interval
    >    equal to half the hang_check timer period, which keeps overhead low
    >    Signed-off-by: Mark Lord <>
    >    Signed-off-by: Jens Axboe <>

    Interesting. I wasn't aware of this patch. Maybe we could abstract this
    approach via wait_for_completion_no_hang_check().

      Last update: 2012-06-13 05:41    [W:0.040 / U:44.184 seconds]