    SubjectRe: ivring driver
    (2012/06/06 0:29), Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
    > Hi Yoshihiro,
    > I stumbled on your post on ivring (
    > for buffering trace data from guest to host. I notice that it would be
    > very interesting to see a comparison of its performance against:
    > - ftrace ring buffer
    > - perf ring buffer
    > - lttng 2.0 ring buffer
    > - lttng-ust 2.0 (user-space tracing) ring buffer

    Hi Mathieu. Thank you for commenting on how to compare among
    ring-buffer's performances. And sorry, I'm late for replying to you.

    > Comparing only with network-related mechanisms does not seem to provide
    > a complete picture of where it stands wrt other ring buffers out there.
    > One of the metric we have used in the past is the number of nanoseconds
    > it takes to write a single event, based on a test that writes lots of
    > events into various buffer sizes, into flight recorder mode buffers
    > (which overwrites oldest information on buffer full condition, with data
    > collection to disk disabled, to remove I/O from the picture -- I/O can
    > then be performed in "snapshot" mode, after some error condition is
    > detected).

    OK, I see. When the overhead of ring-buffers will be evaluated in
    the next, I may use the metric as a reference.

    Thank you,

    Yoshihiro YUNOMAE
    Software Platform Research Dept. Linux Technology Center
    Hitachi, Ltd., Yokohama Research Laboratory

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-06-12 05:21    [W:0.040 / U:17.824 seconds]