SubjectRe: Break point not hit while debugging linux kernel with kgdb
From
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Anil Nair <anilcoll90@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Prasanna,
>
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 10:20 AM, prasannatsmkumar
> <prasannatsmkumar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In one of the machines I am facing a scenario:
>> I recompiled Ubuntu linux kernel (with the default config taken from
>> /boot) and the newly compiled kernel does not boot. After detecting
>> the hard disk (SCSI device) it panics.
>
> Did you compile the kernel using standard step? Which Ubuntu version
> you are trying to install your customized kernel? What is the kernel
> version you are trying to compile? For ubuntu distribution standard
> steps are given at their site for compiling customized kernel, i
> followed those steps and was able to compile and install customized
> kernel. Here is the link for it,
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile
>
>>I am able to see only a part of
>> the kernel stack trace due to low resolution so I am in a situation
>> where I cannot do anything further. In this situation kgdb seems to be
>> the only way.
>
> Also, i think so the kernel is in panic due to the reason that it
> couldn't find initial ram disk. Did you create an initial ram disk
> while compiling and installing the kernel? I came through the same
> situation that is why i am asking?
> are you using mkinitramfs command for creating ramdisk? trying using
> update-initrd command, google for it i forgot its usage.! :). After
> creating ramdisk move it to the /boot directory and update the grub
> using the update-grub command.
>

> I hope this may solve you problem. :)
>
> --
> Regards,
> Anil Nair

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 64bit. I downloaded the source code of kernel
available in Ubuntu 12.04 and recompiling it. I recompiled and
installed the kernel in couple of machines (one ASUS laptop and
another ASUS desktop) and in those machines it is working fine. I
recompiled the same kernel in one old machine (the same way I did for
other machines) and installed it. Initial ram disk is also created but
I am not able to boot. Everything is set up correctly to my knowledge.

Thanks,
Prasanna Kumar

  Last update: 2012-06-11 08:41    [W:0.134 / U:0.288 seconds]