SubjectRe: Break point not hit while debugging linux kernel with kgdb
From
On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Anil Nair <anilcoll90@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Sergei,
>
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 12:18 AM, Sergei Shtylyov <sshtylyov@mvista.com> wrote:
>
>>   Yeah, KGDB was accepted into kernel exactly for more "poorly fixed
>> patches" to appear. :-)
>
> I was under the impression that maintainers would never recommend
> kgdb, so never learned to use it.
> If you could guide me and Prasanna on how to use kgdb that would be
> helpful :). If you were saying it sarcastically, then i failed to
> understand it . :P.
>
>>> You have to use gdbserver
>>   gdbserver is only good for debugging the applications.
>
> I never knew that..!.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Anil Nair

In one of the machines I am facing a scenario:
I recompiled Ubuntu linux kernel (with the default config taken from
/boot) and the newly compiled kernel does not boot. After detecting
the hard disk (SCSI device) it panics. I am able to see only a part of
the kernel stack trace due to low resolution so I am in a situation
where I cannot do anything further. In this situation kgdb seems to be
the only way.

Note: The case I mentioned in my first mail is different from this case.