    > From: Wolfgang Walter <>
    > Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 18:57:13 +0200
    > > But when we are at it: I think that when a bug in a stable kernel is
    > > found and the final fix is known it is bad practice to hord that
    > > patch till submission without letting stable@ know about it.
    > I think you have no idea what goes into vetting patches for -stable.

    I can imagine that very well. I wrote and manage a bunch of larger patches
    against wine vanilla for us and to port them regularly to newer versions.

    > It can take me days to put together a series, and also I time my
    > -stable submissions with when Linus pulls my 'net' bug fixes into his
    > tree since a part of the -stable requirements is presence in Linus's
    > tree.

    I know.

    > I therefore batch, because bleeding out individual fixes one by one to
    > -stable rarely, if ever, makes sense.

    I understand that and as I sad it was not my intention to question that.

    > And another part of what goes into vetting a patch is time. The
    > longer a patch sits in a non-stable tree getting tested, the more
    > likely any unwanted bugs and side effects will be caught before the
    > patch goes into -stable.
    > And finally I am under no obligation whatsoever to post some kind of
    > status report to -stable every few days saying when I'll do this or
    > that.

    I didn't say that you should do that.

    I just don't see the point why I should not send a mail to stable@. It
    documented that there is a known problem in 3.3.5, the fix for it and that you
    already aware of it and will take care to get it into stable. Nobody had
    reported that on stable@.

    I mentioned your mail not to blame you but so nobody thinks I want du submit
    it directly. Everybody reading your mail I linked to could see that you wrote
    it May 1st and therefor could not be in 3.3.5.

    But I think it would have been good if someone (not you) had sent a mail as
    early as 2012-04-20 to stable@ so that others could find the solution more

    Wolfgang Walter
    Studentenwerk München
    Anstalt des öffentlichen Rechts

      Last update: 2012-05-10 01:41    [W:0.027 / U:44.100 seconds]