SubjectRe: 3.3.x: e1000 and ixgbe hang
Date
On Wednesday 09 May 2012, David Miller wrote:
> From: Wolfgang Walter <wolfgang.walter@stwm.de>
> Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 18:57:13 +0200
>
> > But when we are at it: I think that when a bug in a stable kernel is
> > found and the final fix is known it is bad practice to hord that
> > patch till submission without letting stable@ know about it.
>
> I think you have no idea what goes into vetting patches for -stable.

I can imagine that very well. I wrote and manage a bunch of larger patches
against wine vanilla for us and to port them regularly to newer versions.

> It can take me days to put together a series, and also I time my
> -stable submissions with when Linus pulls my 'net' bug fixes into his
> tree since a part of the -stable requirements is presence in Linus's
> tree.

I know.

> I therefore batch, because bleeding out individual fixes one by one to
> -stable rarely, if ever, makes sense.

I understand that and as I sad it was not my intention to question that.

> And another part of what goes into vetting a patch is time. The
> longer a patch sits in a non-stable tree getting tested, the more
> likely any unwanted bugs and side effects will be caught before the
> patch goes into -stable.
>
> And finally I am under no obligation whatsoever to post some kind of
> status report to -stable every few days saying when I'll do this or
> that.

I didn't say that you should do that.

I just don't see the point why I should not send a mail to stable@. It
documented that there is a known problem in 3.3.5, the fix for it and that you
already aware of it and will take care to get it into stable. Nobody had
reported that on stable@.

I mentioned your mail not to blame you but so nobody thinks I want du submit
it directly. Everybody reading your mail I linked to could see that you wrote
it May 1st and therefor could not be in 3.3.5.

But I think it would have been good if someone (not you) had sent a mail as
early as 2012-04-20 to stable@ so that others could find the solution more
easily.

Regards,
--