SubjectRe: Big I/O latencies, except when iotop is hooked
Date
On Wednesday 09 May 2012, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> And it doesn't tell me why I see the issue on my SSD as well; albeit
> with much less delay.
>
> I'll try what you suggest, maybe I will get better performance by
> aligning the partitions, but the real issue seems to lie elsewhere,
> right?

For anything but the absolute worst devices, misaligning the partition
should cause a linear increase in latency (maybe factor 2 in the worst
case), so it doesn't explain the entire thing. However, you can use
flashbench to find out the erase block size. If it's larger than 4MB,
you definitely have a problem even with ext4 or btrfs. The latencies
you get from garbage collection for a single write are roughly the time
it takes to write one erase block, and that can be up to a second in the
worst case (slow media with large erase blocks).

Arnd

  Last update: 2012-05-09 23:21    [W:0.240 / U:0.252 seconds]