SubjectRe: Making ARM multiplatform kernels DT-only?
Date
Russell King - ARM Linux <linux@arm.linux.org.uk> writes:

Hi,

> On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 01:50:35PM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>> My feeling is that we should just mandate DT booting for multiplatform
>> kernels, because it significantly reduces the combinatorial space
>> at compile time, avoids a lot of legacy board files that we cannot
>> test anyway, reduces the total kernel size and gives an incentive
>> for people to move forward to DT with their existing boards.
>
> On this point, I strongly object, especially as I'm one who uses the
> existing non-DT multiplatform support extensively. It's really not
> a problem for what you're trying to achieve.

Please, don't do this. afaik, the idea was to reduce the numbers of
kernel to deal with. Unfortunately, this kind of restriction would
increase it. Consider orion platforms. This would mean having to deal
with 4 kernels (1 for DT, 1 for orion5x, 1 for kirkwood, 1 for mv78xx0).

Dropping HW support because one wants to encourage people to convert
their board file into DT seems weird. Doing this, imho, should even be
called a regression. The DT conversion won't happen in an eye blink so
non-DT kernels are still something we should take care of.

> I think what you're proposing is a totally artificial restriction.
> There's no problem with a kernel supporting DT and non-DT together.
> We've proven that many many times. I prove it _every_ night that my
> build and boot system runs - the OMAP LDP boots a multiplatform kernel
> just fine without DT.

I think it's true for imx too. iirc, one can build a single image for
armv4/armv5 and one other for armv6/armv7 without having to use DT.

Regards,
Arnaud