SubjectRe: Handling of modular boards
Date
Dear Arnd,

In message <201205041934.08830.arnd@arndb.de> you wrote:

> One idea that I've heard before is to put device tree fragments into the
> kernel and dynamically add them to the device tree that was passed by the
> boot loader whenever we detect the presence of a specific device.
> This obviously means it works only for boards using DT for booting, but
> it allows us to use some infrastructure that we already have.
>
> Another idea was to put all the possible extensions into the device tree
> for a given board and disable them by default, putting it into the
> responsibility of the boot loader to enable the one that is actually
> being used. This has serious scalibility problems when there are many
> possible extensions and also relies more on the boot loader than I would
> like.

On the other hand, some of the issues we're trying to solve here
for the kernel are also present in the boot loader, so this needs to
do this anyway - whether by inserting new or modifying (enabling or
disabling) existing properties in the DT is not really relevant here.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de