    SubjectRe: [RFC v7] UBI: Fastmap support (aka checkpointing)
    Hi Artem,

    On Sat, 26 May 2012 15:41:34 +0300 Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Wed, 2012-05-23 at 13:06 +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:
    > > v1: https://lwn.net/Articles/481612/
    > > v2: https://lwn.net/Articles/496586/
    > > v3: Didn't release it to linux-mtd
    > > v4: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1297626
    > > v5: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1298488
    > > v6: https://lwn.net/Articles/498041/
    >
    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > while my daughters are sleeping, I have a chance to quickly review the
    > code. I just start from the attaching path and add TODOs.
    >
    > Can we change our workflow a bit. I will create a branch for fastmap in
    > the UBI tree taking v7 as the base. I'll add my TODOs there and commit,
    > and send them also as a patch to the mailing list. You then send
    > incremental patches which fix TODOs or anything else.
    >
    > We can discuss my notes and if some of them make no sens - the patch
    > would just kill the TODO.
    >
    > In any case, I feel a need to switch to incremental development and get
    > incremental patches instead of code drops. You can send entire fastmap
    > work to the list from time to time, of course, for people to look.
    >
    > How does this sound?
    >
    > Also, I'd like you to document the tests you do. I'd like to start
    > making sure that we never break anything.
    >
    > We can start with the UBI tests from the mtd-utils plust the integck
    > test. And whatever goes to my branch should never break them. Do these
    > tests pass now? If not, let's make them pass.
    >
    > How does this sound to you?
    >
    > At some later points we'll start to move pieces to the master branch.
    >
    > Shmulik, is it fine with you?

    Fine with me, I'm flexible ;)

    What's your plan for merging to the master branch?

    BTW, I know you formerly disliked the idea, but I'm in favor of having a
    CONFIG for the fastmap feature; with the config disabled, UBI must
    behave exactly as it was. The config can be later removed.

    Update regarding status of my review:
    I've reviewed fastmap's wiring up into UBI, as of v6.
    I still need to review fastmap.c itself and ubi-media.h.
    I focused on general correctness and addressing issues that might affect
    existing UBI behavior, and less on the design itself - you can probably
    shed more light in this area.

    Regards,
    Shmulik

      Last update: 2012-05-28 09:21    [W:0.028 / U:28.932 seconds]