SubjectRe: 3.4.0-02580-g72c04af regression on sparc64 - partitions not recognized
On Fri, 25 May 2012, James Bottomley wrote:

> > > This is actually looks wrong: it works if SCSI is built in, but it's a
> > > nop if SCSI is a module (the nop function is gated by the else clause of
> > > #ifdef CONFIG_SCSI)
> > >
> > > Rafael, you added this not via the SCSI tree,
> >
> > That's correct, it was committed directly by Linus.
> >
> > > is that the intention?
> >
> > Pretty much it is.
> >
> > The code snippet is slightly out of context and it is a part of the
> > software_resume() routine, which is only called when the kernel's built-in
> > image reading code checks whether or not the image is present. It won't
> > work anyway if SCSI is not built in.
>
> I don't understand this.
>
> Why would it make a difference whether SCSI is modular at hybernation
> resume time? The reason it makes a difference at boot time is because
> there's no initrd to wait for the scans and mount the root if we're not
> modular, so the init path has to do it. However, when resuming an
> image, the module is already loaded into that image, so there should be
> no difference at all between steps taken in the modular and non-modular
> cases.

I think Rafael is referring to the boot kernel -- the one that reads in
the hibernation image initially. Whether or not the boot kernel can
have modular drivers isn't clear to me; I don't know when the check for
a valid image in the swap area is carried out in relation to starting
up the initramfs task.

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2012-05-25 17:01    [W:0.108 / U:2.032 seconds]