SubjectRe: [git pull] Input updates for 3.5-rc0
On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
<dmitry.torokhov@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe dev_XXX() should report full sysfs path do the dveice? Still does
> not help with the fact that "driver" shown for class devices is not so
> interesting as it will always be the class name.

Well, the dev_printk logic could certainly have simple rules to avoid
duplicate information. And perhaps pick the most relevant parts using
some heuristics.

Right now it just prints out "%s %s" for dev_driver_string(dev) and
dev_name(dev) respectively. That really isn't all that wonderfully
beautiful, and results in things like

hid-generic 0003:046D:C526.0006: xyz

for my Logitech USB Receiver. That's kind of ugly, and really doesn't
clarify anything at all, I think.

The "driver + dev_name()" works fine for things like PCI devices, but
even then it's partly because the PCI layer has made sure to make the
device name pretty - and the device name contains the (redundant) data
of which bus number it is on, even though that's strictly a matter of
the parent thing (but the device name has been prettified and contains
redundant information exactly so that it would print out nicely).

Linus