    SubjectRe: [git pull] Input updates for 3.5-rc0
    On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Dmitry Torokhov
    <dmitry.torokhov@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Maybe dev_XXX() should report full sysfs path do the dveice? Still does
    > not help with the fact that "driver" shown for class devices is not so
    > interesting as it will always be the class name.

    Well, the dev_printk logic could certainly have simple rules to avoid
    duplicate information. And perhaps pick the most relevant parts using
    some heuristics.

    Right now it just prints out "%s %s" for dev_driver_string(dev) and
    dev_name(dev) respectively. That really isn't all that wonderfully
    beautiful, and results in things like

    hid-generic 0003:046D:C526.0006: xyz

    for my Logitech USB Receiver. That's kind of ugly, and really doesn't
    clarify anything at all, I think.

    The "driver + dev_name()" works fine for things like PCI devices, but
    even then it's partly because the PCI layer has made sure to make the
    device name pretty - and the device name contains the (redundant) data
    of which bus number it is on, even though that's strictly a matter of
    the parent thing (but the device name has been prettified and contains
    redundant information exactly so that it would print out nicely).

    Linus

      Last update: 2012-05-25 00:41    [W:0.022 / U:6.520 seconds]