    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] DT clk binding support
    On 05/22/2012 08:38 PM, Saravana Kannan wrote:
    > On Tue, May 22, 2012 6:52 am, Rob Herring wrote:
    >>> Can we do what the regulator framework has done and have a common
    >>> binding of <connection_name>-clk = <&phandle>? Something like:
    >>> core-clk = <&uart3_clk>
    >>> and then have clk_get() use the of node of the device passed in to find
    >>> a property named %s-clk and find the clock with the matching phandle.
    >> Sigh... That is what we had in previous versions from over a year ago
    >> and we moved away from that approach. The current binding has been
    >> reviewed multiple times in the last 6 months...
    >> The current approach is aligned with how interrupts are handled (with
    >> the addition of a phandle). I think not having per clock property names
    >> is easier to parse and easier to document.
    >>> This looks like it's trying to cover both the end consumers (uart uses
    >>> uart3_clk) and the internal clock tree consumers (a crystal oscillator
    >>> connects to a PLL or a mux has multiple parents). We can certainly use
    >>> these bindings for muxes and internal parent-child relationships but I
    >>> would prefer we use different bindings for consumer bindings that match
    >>> what regulators do today.
    >> The binding supports either defining every last internal clock or just
    >> the leaf clocks. I took the former route on highbank since I don't have
    >> a lot of clocks. If I was doing imx or omap for example, I'd probably
    >> just define all the clock controller outputs.
    > If only the leaf nodes are defined in DT, then how is the clock platform
    > driver implementer supposed to instantiate the rest of the tree and
    > connect it up with the partial list of clocks in DT? So, they have to
    > switch back and forth between DT and the .c file which defines the rest
    > and make sure the parent<->child names match?
    > To me it looks that it might better to decouple the description of the
    > clock HW from the mapping of a clock leaf to a consumer device. If we just
    > use a string to identify the clock that's consumed by a device, we can
    > achieve this decoupling at a clean boundary -- clock consumers devices
    > (UART) vs clock producer devices (clock controller in the SoC, in a PMIC,
    > audio codec, etc).
    > With the decoupling, we don't have the inconsistency of having some of the
    > clocks of a clock producer device incompletely defined in DT and the rest
    > of the clocks of the same clock producer device hard coded in the kernel.
    > So, you either put your entire clock tree in the SoC in the DT or put all
    > of it in the kernel but you aren't forced to put just some of them in the
    > DT just to get DT working. I see no benefit in defining only some of the
    > clocks in DT -- it just adds more confusion in the clock tree definition.
    > What am I missing?

    I fail to see what would need changing in the binding itself. The
    binding just describes connections. Whether that is a connection to a
    clock controller node to a device or a clock gate/mux/divider node to a
    device is really beyond the clock binding. This is really just policy.
    You are free to put no clocks in DT, all clocks, or a nexus of clocks.

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-05-23 18:42    [W:0.031 / U:3.812 seconds]