    SubjectRe: NVM Mapping API
    On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 04:02:01PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
    > I would love to use this from userspace. If I could carve out a little
    > piece of NVM as a file (or whatever) and mmap it, I could do all kinds
    > of fun things with that. It would be nice if it had well-defined, or at
    > least configurable or discoverable, caching properties (e.g. WB, WT, WC,
    > UC, etc.).

    Yes, usage from userspace is definitely planned; again through a
    filesystem interface. Treating it like a regular file will work as
    expected; the question is how to expose the interesting properties
    (eg is there a lighter weight mechanism than calling msync()).

    My hope was that by having a discussion of how to use this stuff within
    the kernel, we might come up with some usage models that would inform
    how we design a user space library.

    > (Even better would be a way to make a clone of an fd that only allows
    > mmap, but that's a mostly unrelated issue.)

    O_MMAP_ONLY? And I'm not sure why you'd want to forbid reads and writes.

      Last update: 2012-05-16 18:21    [W:0.452 / U:0.208 seconds]