    SubjectRe: [ 33/52] net: Fix issue with netdev_tx_reset_queue not resetting queue from XOFF state
    David Miller wrote:
    > From: Alexander Duyck <alexander.h.duyck@intel.com>

    >> All of the changes in igb are unnecessary. I think they can be dropped
    >> from the patch as they have already been reverted from the latest
    >> net-next. The only change that is really needed is the piece in
    >> netdevice.h below.
    >
    > Does it hurt? If not, just let it be.

    Based on the commit description for dad8a3b3eaa0 ("igb, ixgbe:
    netdev_tx_reset_queue incorrectly called from tx init path"), yes, it
    hurts. I don't know if it hurts enough to justify holding up this
    patch until dad8a3b3eaa0 hits mainline.

    | this sort of works in most cases except
    | when the number of real tx queues changes. When the number of real
    | tx queues changes netdev_tx_reset_queue() only gets called on the
    | new number of queues so when we reduce the number of queues we risk
    | triggering the watchdog timer and repeated device resets.
    |
    | So this is not only a cosmetic issue but causes real bugs. For
    | example enabling/disabling DCB or FCoE in ixgbe will trigger this.

      Last update: 2012-05-10 22:21    [W:0.023 / U:120.212 seconds]